Engaging Language Students in American Classrooms 8/31/18
Location: Garfield High School
Presenter: Chris Fontana (Founder & President of Full Circle Leadership LLC, Cofounder & Former Executive Director of Global Visionaries (GV))
Objectives: The goals of the workshop are to provide tools for language teachers to create a democratic classroom learning community in which students feel compelled to collaborate and communicate with each other in the target language.
Audience: K-16 Chinese and other language teachers (The workshop will be conducted in English)
This interactive workshop will engage participants to explore hands-on strategies to build a democratic classroom in which students embrace the target language in unprecedented ways because they are relating to one another and taking on ownership of their learning in entirely new ways. Workshop participants will learn to build a democratic classroom within which students learn the 4 C’s of 21st Century skills: collaboration, communication, creativity (and innovation), and critical thinking; students become civically engaged and empathetic global citizens inside and outside of the classroom. Participants will learn how to use the following sequentially integrated pedagogical strategies:
1. Class Agreements: Create class agreements in which youth collaborate to create learning community curriculum and assessment norms, classroom environment and management—a system which invites a deeper level of self and group accountability to performance and behavior.
2. Class Meetings: Establish a weekly forum in which student leaders and Educator leader work out all “behavioral”, performance, classroom climate issues as well as a space to build unprecedented authentic relationships (student to student as well as student to educator). The result of which is a return on investment for content and achievement in academic and affective domains.
3. Community Building: Create a powerful team in which all students are integral to the whole; use group grades and theatre of liberation to build group integrity, cooperation, collaboration and compassion.
4. Class Jobs: Share ownership and responsibility of class, teaching and community with students.
5. Peer Accountability Structures: Lead class to create a learning community in which students hold each other accountable and elicit the best from one another for both behavior and learning outcomes.
Workshop limited to 25 participants. More information here.
Out of stock
SKU: DCLS0831 Category: Uncategorized